Thursday, August 20, 2009

What music has become.

Why are the bands that suck the ones that get the most recognition?

I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me. The bands that are "making it" are making the worst music out there. Like Nickelback. Wow. After five albums and like 10+ years, you would think a band could get good. But no sir/ma'am.

Nickelback has stuck to the same formulaic sound over the course of their career. Which is smart from a business aspect. And people have to pay the mortgage, I guess. So I have to respect them. But I don't have to like their music. Anyways, they have not progressed AT ALL. This has caused them to sell a ridiculous amount of records.

I go to shows like once or twice a month (more if I'm feeling frisky). I have seen/played with bands that have more heart than all of these major label bands combined. They play night after night, make no money, listen to jerks bag on their music, and live out of a van with four or five smelly dudes. What a life. But that requires so much heart.

I listen to music that has heart. And that takes thought to understand.
I like to dig for meanings.

My friend calls the bands that are featured in AP magazine the "AP Scene." I like AP because it features a lot of cool indie/hardcore bands. Well the "AP Scene" has been infested with a cancer.

The cancer consists of bands like Brokencyde, 3OH!3, Breathe Carolina, Cobra Starship, and many many others.

The "scene" has lost so much respect for itself.

These bands are preposterous. I'm not kidding. It makes me question why I read a magazine (which used to be awesome) that features bands like this. They are a waste of hearing abilities. They are bands that cannot be appreciated. There is no talent, no dignity, no respect, and no heart. I think Brokencyde is a joke. Even Senses Fail says they're terrible (boom roasted!).

So I said all that to ask this:

When will bands start making good music again?

Well, there are good bands out there. But like I said earlier, I like to dig for meanings. It's the same thing when finding good bands. My friend saw a band at Cornerstone called A Hope for Home. They're incredible. They're the closest thing to the first As Cities Burn record that I've heard. Look them up. They're one of the smelly van bands that I mentioned earlier.

Someone said in an interview that, while writing for an album, they wrote about what mattered to them, and not what was important to everyone else. If you write about a subject that you don't feel strongly about, you won't really write a good song. Or a good blog, or a good paper. You're basically lying. But if you write about what matters to you, you're being honest. If you strongly believe in Jesus, you could write something genuine and heartfelt.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

Bands, write about stuff that matters to you, and not what a label says is important.

I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment