Friday, November 20, 2009

The dreaded ninth grade.

So I randomly decided to check my Myspace about 15 minutes ago. I do this about once every other 2 or 3 months. Myspace sucks. Anyways, I went through my friends list and proceeded to view some of my "friends" profiles.

I lived in Austin for a year. I loved it. It was so cool. That experience really sparked my extreme love for music. I met some cool people. I became close friends with a few people that I still keep in touch with; but for the most part, I didn't really have any friends there. But on my friends list, there were some people on there that I met once and never talked to again. These were the "cool kids."

In ninth grade, I DESPERATELY wanted to be friends with the "cool kids." I wanted to hang out with them. I wanted to date the girls that were in this clique of coolness. I wanted to go to their houses and breathe the cool air that they did. I was desperate. Like I said, I had some friends that I hung out with. They were cool and funny, but they weren't the "cool kids."

Why was I desperately wanting this "friendship?"

I look back now, and I was so naive. I desperately wanted to be popular; to have a place in the huge school I attended (the school was as big as most towns in Arkansas); I wanted people to know my name. But it didn't work out as I had planned.

I left Austin the summer before my tenth grade year. I was glad to leave. I was glad to go back to Arkansas. Where it's small, quiet, and, well, boring. But looking back, I'm glad I moved back. I think I made the best decision ever. If I didn't come back to Arkansas, I don't know who I would be.

Maybe I could've become one of the "cool kids." Maybe I would be the biggest doucher ever (the "cool kids" were major douchers). I don't know. I know that my life right now is pretty tight. I have the best friends a dude could ask for. I have an incredible church family. I have a great home life. It's awesome in Arkansas (kind of).

Popularity is so stupid. Popularity only matters in high school. I wasn't popular in high school. I didn't worry about it. I had a lot of great friends that were true friends (I still have those friends, and they're still the truest friends in the world). That's all I need.

So my advice to you: don't strive to be a "cool kid." Just be yourself (sorry for being so cliché).

Keep it real.
jake fauber.

P.S. If someone wants to hook me up with some music, shoot me an email (fauberus@yahoo.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment